Thorndale and Area Horticultural Society
"SOW IT, GROW IT, SHOW IT"
Who We Are: Established in 1996 under the auspices of the Ontario Horticulture Association (OHA), we are a fun,
informal group of approximately 70 women and men from Thorndale, London, Ilderton, Kintore, St. Marys, Thamesford,
and Embro who share the common interests of various gardening and green space living. We take great pride and pleasure
in order to fulfill the OHA mandate and the objects of a horticultural society. We are one of approximately 23 societies in
the Thames Valley District 10 of the OHA.
April - usually have a fun workshop in preparation for spring flower show
April - OHA District 10 meeting
May - annual Members spring flower show
May - annual plant sale in cowshed at fairgrounds
June - summer potluck/garden party
June - booth at Market to sell extra plants
Last Sunday in June - Annual Green Thumb Garden Tour
September - Thorndale Fall Fair
November - Our Annual General Meeting
December - Christmas potluck and social
“Weedy Wednesdays” - Wednesday evenings from May to October, weather permitting, we meet at the Cenotaph at 7 pm, where volunteers maintain the community beds & planters while enjoying fellowship.
- All are welcome to pitch in, especially students needing school volunteer hours.
- We plant and maintain 9 planter barrels, 10 bridge boxes, 2 planter boxes at Community Center, 6 community gardens and the entrance gates to the village.
- As a non-profit organization, monies we make are directly used in the community and for nurturing and educating all things horticultural.
- We also offer a bursary to a first year student enrolled in the 2 year Horticultural Technician Apprentice Program at Fanshawe College.
- We are proud sponsors of the Thorndale Fall Fair, offering 7 specials in flowers, vegetables & fruit and 8 in the school and youth fair. We also sponsor an ambassador contestant & have a float in the parade.
Membership Fees: Anyone interested are invited to come for a couple of meetings to check us out, then further meetings/ events of the society may be attended upon purchase of a membership for $15.00 per individual. We also offer membership to an additional family member residing at the same household for $10.00. (Our membership year runs from September to August each year. We have a membership draw basket at the fair.)
When We Meet: On the 2nd Wednesday of each month, except for January and July, in the Lion’s Den at the Community Centre on Upper Queen St. at 7:30pm. Our regular Wednesday meeting guest speakers are informative, interactive and followed by a delicious luncheon and social time. We frequently have door prizes.
Contact us: For more information on our society, meetings, our objects and mandate, please feel free to contact us at any of the following ways:
Call: Dian Chute 519-777-2616
Thorndale & Area Horticultural Society
Thorndale, ON N0M 2P0
Our meetings are also posted around the village and advertised in the Village Voice.